Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ward reunion Soda Springs '12

I love my family!
This year we had the privilege and honor to rent a cabin and enjoy the regular amenities and just enjoy each others company and site see a little more.

All the great grandchildren (and three grandchildren)
 My family :)
 My family again, minus my oldest brother and his wife and little boy and my youngest brother and his family.
 (I was joking with my sister and telling her to look at the camera and they took the picture) opps makes for a good story; because it looks like I'm slapping her LOL

My dad's siblings and their spouses (with a  few that couldn't make it this year) 
and my cute grandparents
 I love my Aunt Marie's giant happy smile! :)  It makes me so happy!
 Mini Old Faithful; goes off every hour at the top of the hour
I don't remember the real name of it.

 This is the EXACT picture I was trying to avoid LOL; the spring water coming out of my head
 all the kids playing in a natural soda spring at a park
 This mountain is where they pour their extra scrapes of metal off the side of the mountain.  They do it every 20 minutes or so.  It is so cool to watch!
On the outskirts of Soda Springs

We then traveled to Grace, ID...
 Rope swing into the river (the end of Last Chance Canal)
Grace, ID
 Last Chance Canal...
 you jump in and float down...
This is where the water comes out of the mountain on the other side to get the water for their irrigation...
 The beginning/end (however you want to look at it) of Last Chance Canal...
They (the farmers and city) were having problems getting irrigation water and needed a solution.  This river flows to Salt Lake so their only chance to get water from this river was to dig through the mountain.  and they only had a limited time to do it before the city wouldn't let them try and make them have a drought.  So two men drilled and dug through the mountain starting at each end and these two men worked and worked and ended up within ONE FOOT of each other in the middle of the mountain!!
This is the dam they built to direct the water through the mountain...
 and this is the original river...

 and this is where is comes out!  The rope swing bridge (from a few pictures ago)
 a random house on the drive back to Soda Springs.... Isn't it cute and fun! :)

No comments: