Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Saturday...

Saturday March 19th.
Woke up. EaRRly.
Drove into town.
Paid a dollar and got a giant permanent green X on my right hand; to watch elementary kids (one including my great nephew) warm up for a wrestling tournament, that would begin in 40 minutes.
Twenty minutes into it I had to walk a block around the corner to get spiritually uplifted by the one and only Sheri Dew and her dear friend Sister Wendy Nelson (President Nelson's wife). I stood in line for about 20 minutes, with a mean girl behind me. When they finally opened the doors at 9 am I calmly walked to the Third Row and sat down. I mean because really who wants to sit in the front row and look like THAT girl. So I settled for third row.
Sister Nelson spoke first and she did an amazing job of telling us how to just be us and be proud of being that crooked tree in the forest of straight trees. She of course added humor and made it very enjoyable :)
Sheri Dew spoke last and when she got up to the podium plainly said she did not have a talk prepared. (and of course we were thinking, What the heck you are Sheri Dew and you don't know what you are going to talk about?!?!) But knowing and reading Sheri Dew books we all know in a few minutes she will be on a roll! And that she did! She elaborated on Sister Nelson's talk but also talked about being us and not joining in with the crowd. She showed some funny videos to prove it and prove how one person or even a small group of people can influence us.
It was a very healthy feast listening to these two wonderful ladies!
As I walked the one block back to the wrestling tournament it was starting to get quite blizzardy!! but I enjoyed the fresh air. As i walked in the front door to the wrestling tournament all I was welcomed by was a guy yelling at many other guys/couches etc. saying to not talk to his wife like that and to never say those things again...but remember there was A LOT of profanity thrown in there! I watched for a second to see if i needed to walk out, but noticed what it was and just keep walking....
By two pm I was home and enoying the rest of my Saturday relaxing. What a day!

No comments: